Named after ex-Hull MP, Thomas Ferens, the Ferens Art Gallery was opened in 1927 after Thomas Ferens himself donated the site and money to open the gallery. The gallery features an extensive array of both permanent collections and roving exhibitions. The building also houses a children’s gallery and a popular cafe.
Among the exhibits is a portrait of an unknown woman by Frans Hals and in 2013 the gallery acquired a fourteenth-century painting by Pietro Lorenzetti depicting Christ Between Saints Paul and Peter. The acquisition was jointly funded by the Ferens Endowment Fund, the Heritage Lottery Fund and Art Fund.