One of Hull’s Best music venues is making its return on the 24th of August!
After over a year of closure, brought on by parent company VMS live going into administration due to the pandemic, the Polar Bear is set to be reopening its doors for Hulls music lovers two nights a week with a view of adding more nights towards the end of the year.
The Team over at Polar Bear has taken over and raised a whopping £19,308 through crowdfunding. This money will be going towards…
- Becoming a Community Interest Company (THE POLAR BEAR MUSIC CLUB) with a board that will be run by people whose primary aim is to serve the local community;
- Becoming a venue for Hull, run by the people of Hull: a venue that supports local creatives, works with charity organisations and cares for the wellbeing of HU5 and beyond;
- Create a venue in which YOU have a say – to collaboratively contribute to a communal venue that feels safe and welcoming for all;
- Care for one of Hull’s historic venues, maintaining the building and keeping it alive;
- Create opportunities for young people to learn within the industry.
After securing a three-month lease, the team’s aim is to continue to raise enough funds to become a self-sustaining, non-profit making community venue.
Along with securing the building, the crowdfunded money is contributing to the installation of necessary equipment so that The Polar Bear can continue to function as a music venue. Initially, the intention was to repurchase the equipment that was already on site. However, a lot of it was too tired and old to make its purchase worthwhile. Instead of repurchasing second-hand equipment, they will be renting a new P.A. package from fantastic local company ITSL.
For now, the Polar Bear will be operating on a shoestring budget so don’t go expecting UV lights and lasers just yet! With the continued support of the community, they hope that they will be able to bring lots of exciting and ambitious ideas to life.
For more information and to keep up to date with all things Polar Bear head over to their website polarbearmusicclub.co.uk